Taylor Hawkins Taylor Hawkins • 1972 - 2022 Visit Memorial

Welcome to the unofficial Foo Fighters Discussion Forums!

Join in discussions with other Foo fans around the world.
Please Sign In or Register to get involved.

new Foo Fighters album- ‘But Here We Are’

Comments

• SkezzSkezz 7,313 posts

You know what I think my dyslexic ass read it wrong. I thought you said it really does seem like it was just Dave

• O.B.geneO.B.gene 4,235 posts

Finally listened to the new song, properly on good speakers....i'm so so happy. I think it's a grower but I love how it sounds; the drums are epic, the guitars sound beefy....and it's a nod to different eras of Foo Fighters, in my mind.

• Shifty sang backing on Wheels, Cheer up boys and The sky is a neighborhood. And i think he sang backing on Come Back (Simply because there was a photo of him, dave and taylor around a microphone in the studio).

He has come a long way as a singer ever since he started releasing his own songs. His voice is very different from Taylors, and he does not harmonize as well with Dave, but i can still se him doing more backing vocals on this album.

• BethMIBethMI 252 posts

Interesting, I know he has live, I’m not sure he was ever credited on an album (except, I believe, for the choir vocals with the Pres Hall band on In The Clear, along with T and Rami) but I guess that doesn’t mean he’s not done it. I am at least pretty sure he did on Sean.

Still, if we hear some on the album, it’ll be a bit of an ouch moment.

Though I think it’s going to be pretty devastating, regardless, looking at some of those titles 😔

• That's surprising, I thought Zane would be on this like flies on shit. The BBC as a network is hardly touching it. Hmm.

• Koala FooKoala Foo 1,300 posts

I'm not sure where Foos sit with the BBC now, I tried their "rock" channel once and mmm....

• Radio One’s remit for its funding is:

”to entertain and engage a broad range of young listeners with a distinctive mix of contemporary music and speech. Its target audience is 15-29 year olds“

So I’m surprised Foo Fighters lasted as long as they did as a priority for them. I don’t think their days of being played on there are over - certainly not while Dan Carter is heading the Rock Show.

I don’t think it’s a great loss tbh. Radio One gets 7.7million listeners a week, Radio Two gets 14million.

Jo Whiley on Radio Two played the track & history dictates she’ll be all over the album too. She had the band pencilled in for an In Concert a few years ago & I’d rather a full session for Radio 2 than a 3-song Live Lounge appearance on Radio 1.

• Foo3001Foo3001 283 posts

Dunno about the album as it’s yet to be heard, was talking about the song.

• when i comes to radio play i honestly do not care. previously i have hoped for many releases to get as much attention as possible, and when it finally happens it is not as much fun. The band does deserve both the income and recognition that comes with a hit, but it is more fun to be a fan of the band when they are not on every t-shirt in the park.

• TimTim 194 posts

I think I want every song to be the biggest hit until I get a little tired of it being all over radio or whatever.

It's bummed me out when singles I really liked and thought "That's a motherfucking hit" kinda underperformed.

I thought "Resolve" was a fucking crossover mainstream hit that'd make em a stadium band. In hindsight, that might be one of my dumbest fucking thoughts ever.

• Foo3001Foo3001 283 posts

I’m just happy that a band as old as the FF comes up with a song I like every now and then.

If I was a U2 fan for example I’d probably be insulted with the stuff they’ve come up during the last 10+ years

• All of the tracks are now on the BMI database & Greg Kirsten shares a credit on ‘Beyond Me’ but aside from that no songs feature a credit to Taylor Hawkins. So it looks like it is 10 absolutely new songs with no previous demoing or sketching used.

10 new songs, wow... but then I guess from where this album was written from (loss, grief, new chapter etc) then maybe having a song from before losing T might not flow so well. There were rumours flying around about songs recorded after M@M, as that was delayed so much, wonder if that was true or what they might do with those?

Will be a very interesting listen!

• If they aren't included on the album, i'd be curious to know what they intend to do with them - scrap them completely and keep them in archives? Hold onto them for a special release? They'd have a whole treasure trove of old material with Taylor with which to build a tribute set, if they wanted to...

Maybe that's part of the plan once this album is out. This is probably the album that needed to come first, unless they were on the point of releasing something else before T passed. If they weren't at that point it might have been harder for them to carry on with the mixing, recording etc than to record a new album with songs relevant to going through the last year.

They probably have a mountain of unused songs from over the years.

• And oddly, I just got the new Ian Hunter album (Defiance Part 1) and that has at least 3 songs that feature Taylor Hawkins! I was surprised, and quite happy to see that.

• trevgregtrevgreg 54 posts

Pretty much. Plus, as a songwriter, you tend to work the most on the material with the most potential anyway. I don't have any doubts that the band has songs "lying around" that are somewhat or mostly complete with Taylor playing on them. But if they had been ones they were happy with, we'd probably have heard them by now. Anything else isn't unnecessarily unreleasable, but probably would need to be worked on a bit further before they see the light of day. At least to a point where the band would be happy with them. New song parts, segments, or lyrics, etc.

It's certainly possible, with the Saint Cecilia EP being the primary example. But that ultimately consisted of re-recorded versions that they sort of pushed to the finish line. Any "new" tracks would obviously have to be built around the drum performances already there. It can be a bit more restrictive as a result, but if the surviving Beatles could pull it off with cassette demos Lennon left behind, I wouldn't doubt the ability to do so here. It'd just be a matter of getting the song to a point where it's listenable and people are happy with it.

• IamBecIamBec 4,014 posts

I heard Rescued on the Radio twice today after not hearing it at all previously. Landed a bit different than on Spotify anyway…

• lilmanjslilmanjs 443 posts

Lucky! I've heard a lot of Foos on the radio since the song dropped but never the new song. Heck even stuff from the last album.

• BexsterBexster 1,085 posts

White vinyl now preordered. It's quite nice to know I've got something new coming in the post now.

I ordered the white vinyl from the US Foo store, will be waiting for me when I get back from my trip. I might buy the CD in the UK, if I remember to take the CD ripper/player with me or I'll just listen on Spotty.

I might buy the white t-shirt, I have too many black Foo shirts lol but I'll get that over there.

I ordered the vinyl and the cassette (why not?) - haven’t had an order confirmation tho. The page just says I’ll get an email when it’s ready… anyone else have that?!

I had an order confirmation with a number, it just says we are getting it ready and will let you know when it's on the way.

Hope you've got your pencil ready for the cassette 😂 Actually being Foos, they should have supplied it with a special Foo pencil!

Yeah I have the confirmation page with the order number - but no email

Can you go into your account and check? I'm sure it's just a glitch, hopefully!

• May 2nd ... Exactly one month away!

Unfortunately we're in a 31 day month. If they appreciated their fans, they would have used March 2nd as release date, giving us the 28 day Feb wait instead 😠

• wickedgravitywickedgravity 100 posts
    edited May 2023

Got my physical copy in the mail today, Ian adds a note of memory for Taylor:

• For Trudi - For Putting Up With It For 50 Years
    • For Mott The Hoople - Without Whom...
    • And to the Memory of Taylor Hawkins

Pretty cool!

Edit ... Taylor on 3 tracks, but one of them he's on multiple instruments, Track 8, Angel:

Drums, Electric Guitar, Electric Piano, Backing Vocals – Taylor Hawkins

• FooArchiveFooArchive 396 posts

Taylor will also be on 4 tracks on Songs of Defiance, Part 2.

• Was not aware, thanks! (although I will be getting that album either way, love Ian Hunter!)