Taylor Hawkins Taylor Hawkins • 1972 - 2022 Visit Memorial

Welcome to the unofficial Foo Fighters Discussion Forums!

Join in discussions with other Foo fans around the world.
Please Sign In or Register to get involved.

Future of Foo Fighters

Comments

• However they've decided to do this, I shouldn't be amazed how well they've kept it private - they have a whole fortress surrounding them when they need it.

• SkezzSkezz 7,375 posts

Plot twist it's Lola

• Now THAT would be the most effective diversion tactic ever!

• O.B.geneO.B.gene 4,237 posts

Will we find out more shortly?! They return to live action next month!!

• TimTim 194 posts

I'd assume if there was going to be an announcement about anything before they're out on stage, they probably would have made it by now.

• Foo3001Foo3001 283 posts

Got to admit,

Getting tired of the gimmick. Be it a documentary, a horror movie, a double album, recording in a garage or keeping quiet about their future - I appreciate everything they have ever done and I will always love them whatever they do, but it’s tiring to be a fan sometimes.

• TimTim 194 posts

Is this really a gimmick? I just assume that the person you see on stage next isn't necessarily the permanent new drummer so they're just avoiding an extra media cycle about who's replacing them and whatever speculation that brings.

• SkezzSkezz 7,375 posts

I wouldn't call it a gimmick either. We could totally have a Franz situation on our hands with this touring drummer. Great playing the set but then just not the right fit in the studio and I don't think anyone wants that to happen again

edited April 2023

It kinda is.

If there’s no certainty a band of their size could easily go public with how things are gonna go, be it permanent or a revolving cast of drummers or whatever. They’re one of the biggest bands in the world, the silence is really weird with shows happening next month. For most folks the silence is probably cool but IMO it’s tiring.

• GeorgiaGeorgia 202 posts

It might be they're not really sure what the plan is, and don't want to commit in writing 'we are going to do XYZ' because if it doesn't work out, they can adapt and change with whatever suits them.

I understand frustrations. It's a really sensitive topic and they have to do what's right for them as a band.

• TimTim 194 posts

Is it really the band's silence that's tiring or is it how people are trying to fill the silence thats the issue?

• BethMIBethMI 255 posts
    edited April 2023

Maybe they don’t want to make a big show of announcing who is playing drums after their close friend died? Like “hey everyone get excited blank is replacing Taylor LFG!”. Did they even really announce Chris back in the day, or did he just start playing with them? In much less sad, shitty circumstances. Why do you need this info RIGHT NOW?

• O.B.geneO.B.gene 4,237 posts

From what I can remember, it was just mentions in rock magazines and music focused websites about the new Foo Fighters guitarist?….certainly not in mainstream media or any press release 🤷🏻‍♂️

Different times, no social media….a sense of mystery, a lovely element of wonderment not knowing everything that goes on.

Like mentioned, the silence is cool for most and I am really happy that they are going forward, I never thought they could. Even though the first three albums will forever be my favourites I’ve been excited for every release up to this very day. And of course I’ve followed every tiny bit of news there’s ever been - like most of us over here probably do.

What I’m trying to say (poorly) that for once I wish they would be the normal band. I wish they would have announced their plan when they started booking shows like most bands that had to book new members usually do. I wish they would just make a bad ass record without a back story as important as the record itself or try to do ’something no one has done before’. I wish they would settle just for being the best rock band in the world for at least a little while.

• SkezzSkezz 7,375 posts

I don't think Concrete & Gold or M@M particularly had one. Obviously that album cycle had studio 666 but I think that was just because it was their 25th anniversary as a band. Also in the time of home studios being used by a lot of artists I don't particularly think of Wasted Light as being gimmicky. Only really Sonic Highways was.

Also I think announcing the drummer or not isn't gimmicky. I don't think making an announcement would be seen as very tasteful so soon after Taylor's passing. It's also possible they've not actually settled on a drummer yet. I think Chris was hired and out on tour in relatively short amount of time.

• Sonic Highways fully leaned into its own concept, so much so that I understand why some people felt underwhelmed by the album on its own. For all the narrative built up in the docuseries, the music itself was a bit of a mismatch. That doesn't make the music bad - some of my favourites are on there.

• SkezzSkezz 7,375 posts

I think the problem is it didn't lean into it enough. The music was clearly already worked out and written before they left to go to each city. Only thing that was done apparently with the vibe of the city was the vocals. The best performances on their were Joe Walsh and Gary Clark Jr in my opinion. I think they might be the only two to actually add shape to the demos they went in with. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy the album but I don't think it was as fully realised in its potential as it could have been.

• Koala FooKoala Foo 1,312 posts

Being a relatively new fan of 5 years I find Foos interesting, we love the quirkyness of Dave’s ideas and when they are all over the place but then we can’t cope with the silence in between. Last time I was into a fav band when they were active we just got news through Melody Maker or NME, no socials so I guess that emphasises the silence!

I’m sure it’s all part of a grand plan or they just don’t know yet, my guess is they are still nutting things out. Whoever plays this tour may not be permanent, maybe they feel they want to play but it’s too early to have a permanent member for T’s seat.

• SkezzSkezz 7,375 posts

Also this is the sort of announcement that would typically have been announced in the Rolling Stone but I suspect those bridges are thoroughly burnt.

• matineeidyllmatineeidyll 843 posts
    edited April 2023

Here we go again...

• I was just listening to Sonic Highways today! I think the album is eggcellent, it's definitely near the top for me - maybe even 3rd, behind the first 2 releases.

edited April 2023

About the gimmick - the FF has never been the ’standard’ band.

S/T - ”it’s a demo tape”

TCATS - I guess this is their ”record” record with no story

TINTL - ”made an album with a few friends in my basement while barbequing”

1X1 - ”spent a million and broke up then made it again in a few weeks”

IYH - ”built a studio for it and made it a double album”

ESPG - ”crammed the newly discovered acoustic and electric sides of the FF onto one album”

WL - ”made it in my garage on tape”

SH - well you know

C&G - ”met Kurstin and he made it sound like we’ve never sounded before”

MM - ”the dance record” (too bad covid blew the Studio 666 timing for this)

So apart from TCATS there’s always been a story for a record. I don’t mind it at all, it’s kind of fun but they love the gimmick, that’s for sure.

• AndyAndy 66 posts

I think you can put a story to every bands back catalogue similar to these.

Most bands have a double album, one that nearly broke the band up and one which was effortless and chilled out to record (Smashing Pumpkins & RHCP certainly do for example)

Probably. These have just been the main talking points in the press rounds for each album, could well be that I just don't follow other bands so closely that I'd notice these kinds of things.

• TimTim 194 posts

Some of that is just marketing and some of it is just the assessment of Dave way after the fact. He never really talked down the first record as a demo tape until he was promoting the Colour and the Shape as the" real record"

Outside of Sonic Highways and In Your Honor, I don't think any of those are really gimmicks that impacted the songwriting or even really the sound of anything.

Yes you’re right, I’m of course biased due to reading the press / being subject to marketing and hearing the stories multiple times during a press round for the release. They make the things sound way more gimmick-y than they have ever been in real life.

I do think the garage thing for WL kinda was a gimmick though, I mean it wasn’t like they did a ’garage’ record but hauled probably around 500K worth of studio gear into a house that had a garage 😊

• BetoBeto 1,228 posts
    edited April 2023

I totally understand you @Foo3001 , like, with the "gimmick" stuff... to me they are also non-gimicky gimmicks. It's like they're afraid of saying "we made a record we like and here it is"... there always have to be a playful backstory.

I also understand that that's media bait to make it more interesting, and probably intended for the casual fan and non-fans, because they're actually fun. But as a die-hard, it's like, dude, just say it was time for a record and you recorded songs you like! It gets cringey when you read/listen to the backstory 10 times and he even uses the same phrases, BUT ALSO.... I'm the dumbass reading and listening to EVERY.SINGLE. INTERVIEW.

Yeah... but here we are 30 years later. 🤷‍♂️🤣

Yeah I'm in the same camp with you - it's my own fault that I check out all interviews..

But I was wondering is it really so that the casual fan cares how/where an album was recorded - IMO the back stories are for us die hards who know how they've recorded before. I mean, if there's the dude who likes a few songs here and there he couldn't probably care less if the record was made in whale's belly or their own studio or wherever or however.