Taylor Hawkins Taylor Hawkins • 1972 - 2022 Visit Memorial

Welcome to the unofficial Foo Fighters Discussion Forums!

Join in discussions with other Foo fans around the world.
Please Sign In or Register to get involved.

Future of Foo Fighters

Comments

• SkezzSkezz 7,313 posts

It's about getting the media coverage. Rock band release rock record isn't particularly getting the cover. Band did it by visiting multiple cities and taking inspiration. That's got far more mileage

• matineeidyllmatineeidyll 840 posts
    edited April 2023

The additional dates announcement continues the 'theme' of being completely blank - white with grey text. They're really not giving any more information than what is necessary, not even tour art.

Speaking of art - the show posters are usually revealed the morning of, and the rule with drawing the band members is that if they have Dave, they have to include every band member. So it'll be interesting to see if they go down that path, or if they make a point of not featuring anyone at all.

In other news - Lars Ulrich's sons' band Taipei Houston will be the support in Gilford, NH.

Also - Songview is once again indicating a new title has been added to their repertoire, but nothing new is visible.

• BethMIBethMI 252 posts

Yeah they can handle it however they feel most comfortable, but I am getting curious what the play will be as the shows approach.

• BigColBigCol 973 posts

@Foo3001 I totally get what you mean on the gimmick thing, I’ve loved this band from day 1 but it does feel like every record needs a back story. I’m sure it’s just a press thing though. And, like Queen, the disco experiment sucked.

• I don't agree with the gimmick thing. I think this opinion has come from the amount of interviews Dave has to do and coming up with answers to the obvious "so what inspired this album".

Saying that it's their 'disco' album does not make MAM a gimmick album as I don't think of it as disco at all. Nor have they played up to this. CAG has Greg Kurstin as producer but he has produced loads of albums. are they all gimmicks? having a producer is not a gimmick.

I get Sonic Highways as it had a clear story & theme but all the others I think the story of album should not be confused with a gimmick.

Maybe as such a big fan / fans we look into a lot more than the average but for me what they do is no different to say a Metallica, Arctic Monkeys, P!nk, Noel Gallagher etc who I can think of who have brought out new music over the last year all with a similar huge branding and marketing behind them.

If anything I think Foos spoil us with their consistency. its a new album every 3 years and a pretty much a live show every year in your country. yes the last 4 years since COVID broke have been stop start and then tragic but even in these times its looking like we are getting MAM and then another album (fingers crossed).

• Foo3001Foo3001 283 posts

Yeah as mentioned above somewhere, it's my own fault that I follow the band pretty closely, like to read all the interviews I get my hands on etc.. Perhaps gimmick is a strong word, but I do think they have a distinct own style of making press, and a pretty elaborate story on making an album is part of it. Nothing wrong with it of course.

Someone on Reddit with a ”source close to the Foos tour” says Jorma Vik will be playing w/ FF during summer

If it’s on the internet it must be true, right?

• SkezzSkezz 7,313 posts

I could also see Jorma being a permanent replacement and not just a touring guy as I suspect he's missing actually recording as he's only been a touring member of EODM and as far as I know hasn't recorded anything full length as a fully fledged band member since Mariachi El Bronx III in 2014. Probably got the itch to make records again.

• Koala FooKoala Foo 1,300 posts

I Googled him and read a short interview, heavily influenced by Bonham and The Police when he was young, so sounds a good fit!

The Bronx Hellfest 2012 show that’s on YouTube has some killer drumming in it. Judging by that I’d easily see him take the spot w / the FF. His style and groove resemble both DG and T, but still has his own thing.

• The Hawkins tribute merch has been removed from the main page of the official store (it's all over on T's site now) and the general apparel is back...

• IamBecIamBec 4,014 posts

Also, I like Jorma, saw him a few times with The Bronx way back when - he’s great!

• Yeah, saving, that's a good idea, self - not immediately getting caught up in the frenzy of the album announcement and throwing my money at pre-orders. (cries in credit card debt)

• BexsterBexster 1,085 posts

I don't know how I used to manage it, but I have to think several times before chucking £30 at a t-shirt now. I can't do anything til payday anyway, so I've got time to be rational 😁

• IamBecIamBec 4,014 posts

Yep I filled my basket with stuff and then looked and it was £100 - and I thought hmm… thank god payday is a few days away so I can rethink my priorities! 😂

• SkezzSkezz 7,313 posts

That one t-shirt is so close to this that I honestly can't understand how they're getting away with selling it and certainly not at £30

• BexsterBexster 1,085 posts

I feel like such an adult!!

It's daft. All the bands are doing it and it's really hard to justify for anyone. I was at a gig in Wembley last year and there was a family of four who's all bought tour hoodies, but that was £250+ just for those!

• SkezzSkezz 7,313 posts

Oh I get why the prices are high on merch and I don't begrudge any band and especially not on tour where a lot of venues take a cut too

Tbh... sometimes the Foo merch aren't designs I like, Ioved the M@M colours but not the eye thing! Plus I usually cut the necks and sleeves so I have to see where the logos land. My fav is actually one of the Christmas ones, the material is nice but I can only wear it one week of the year!

We have a shop in Oz who is doing licenced Foo shirts and they are really nice, great material, so soft. They've just done a kiddies one for IYH sleeve, it's amazing, would make a nice evening out shirt as the print is silver on grungy grey but the biggest size is aged 8 which is annoying! I did hold it up to me yesterday but mmm... might end up a tight crop top 😂 (and not in a good way!)

What I really need is a nice cosy Foo sweat, I wanted the sloppy joe one with the Cheetah's head on it but they stopped making it just before I joined the gang, I found one on Ebay but just missed it :(.

The other funny thing is that on the Foo shop an item is the same in US as it is in UK! I guess with fluctuating exchange rates it's easier....

• I wonder if this is actually intended to be the lead single - because without any additional promo for it, the track had an okay start in the first week, but now it's dropping fast.

• BethMIBethMI 252 posts

That is interesting. I doubt anyone in the Foo camp cares much about that at the moment but it’s an interesting data point. I think Saint Cecilia did similarly.

• matineeidyllmatineeidyll 840 posts
    edited April 2023

The UK charts will indicate what kind of shelf life 'Rescued' is going to have, I reckon (due in less than 24 hours). It's doing all right on Billboard, but daily streaming charts and playlists show it's dropping.

It's just the nature of music consumption now - you have to be churning out constant content, be everywhere at all times. To opt out of it is a choice and a statement.

Yes, interesting about no promo. It just seems the video will be the lyrics and the new visualiser ones. There's been plenty in the press about the new album but without backup of interviews etc will it go a bit flat? Although obviously Foo fans will be buying it and there's no shortage of people wanting to go to the gigs but it depends if they want to reach outside of the current Foo network.

I don't take any notice of charts etc these days, to think it the Top 20 rundown on a Sunday night was the highlight of my week once upon a time!

I’m betting it’s Shane on drums on Rescued

It’s been bugging me from the very first listen that I could not figure it out who it is. It’s got influences from DG and T, but not 100% either.

Just like Shane plays.