Taylor Hawkins Taylor Hawkins • 1972 - 2022 Visit Memorial

Welcome to the unofficial Foo Fighters Discussion Forums!

Join in discussions with other Foo fans around the world.
Please Sign In or Register to get involved.

Medicine at Midnight

Comments

• BigColBigCol 981 posts

Pat used to do backing vocals on the early tours. I have to say on all my years watching the band live I can’t recall Nate ever being set up with a mic but maybe someone will remember differently - a shame as said as he could certainly contribute.

I was definitely pleased to see Shifty adding vocals during the live shows in 2019 (definitely during I’ll stick around and HJP) - we need more of him (and he needs to be higher in the mix too).

• SkezzSkezz 7,411 posts

Yeah Shifty so often gets done dirty by the live mix. I don't think Nate has ever been mic'd up either. Pat was great backing up the self titled stuff for sure.

• lilmanjslilmanjs 444 posts
    edited February 2021

Nate has been mic'd up before! I dunno the title of the video or if it is even up on youtube, but there was a video with Nate singing backup vocals at a festival gig way back when and Dave looks like he's surprised to see him singing. lol

• Sorry for the double post, but that's clearly a mic for Nate all the way back in 2000! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGadjwGH1I

• LOL I so know what you mean - if I’d heard this record in 2001 I would have deeply and profoundly hated it, it’s pretty much the opposite vibe I wanted to get from listening to the FF back then.

They had their AOR trip before with TINTL and it’s probably my favourite record of all time from any band or artist, that album sounds like no one else.

This is a weird collection of different influences, I like most of it but it’s probably not something that would make me a FF fan.

• DaveKDaveK 39 posts

CHASING BIRDS has a lovely chilled vibe.... but man is anyone else hearing WOMAN by John Lennon in that? Even the vocals have a delicate Lennon-esque quality. You could mash these two tracks up almost perfectly in sync.

MAKING A FIRE is pretty good....they are loving the "nananana"s for the past couple of years.

I can hear a QOTSA influence on CLOUDSPOTTER. One of my favourites after a couple of listens.

I get the Bowie references....but also, on MEDICINE IN MIDNIGHT I can't stop hearing Abracadabra by Steve Miller Band.

I think HOLDING POISON is my favourite. The verses take me to WASTING LIGHT (and especially DEAR ROSEMARY).

LOVE DIES YOUNG with it's Queen-intro (KEEP YOURSELF ALIVE!) is a close 2nd for me and would be a banger during a live show.

• SkezzSkezz 7,411 posts

@Leanne ok so we are tied now. Leanne agrees about Lennon. I hear McCartney

• O.B.geneO.B.gene 4,238 posts

cover of Andy Gibb's 'Shadow Dancing' performed by Foo Fighters on Virgin Radio this morning (around 9.30am) https://virginradio.co.uk/radio/listen-again/1612506600

• DaveKDaveK 39 posts

I was SO confused for a moment.... but then

Oh it's TAYLOR singing. 😂🤣

• I’ve been listening to this album for several weeks now, so much I forgot it wasn’t out in the world yet, interesting to see varied reactions and finally being able to talk about it.

the backing vocals thing is something I also felt there might be too much of at this point, when used well it works, and it does work here but it’s VERY close to the tipping point, I can see Dave loving it so much on C&G and wanting it on everything now.

the title track may be Dave’s best vocals to date for me, incredible song and one of my favorites along with Cloudspotter (loved the Hendrix nod in the lyrics), Waiting on a War and Love Dies Young.

Chasing Birds grew on me considerably but not enough to make it into the top favorites.

Shame Shame is one the grew the most, probably because of the long and comprehensive promotion cycle, it’s one of my favorites now but I still can’t get past the feeling of a build up to something that never actually comes.

No Son of Mine is one that improved tenfold with a live performance, that’s what it was made for, for sure, it’s a banger.

I like the nananas on Making a Fire but I think it could be dialed back a bit, maybe make it less prominent but still works.

Absolutely loved Holding Poison but I think that just like No Son of Mine it’ll benefit GREATLY from a live version, that outro in particular is gonna blow up in peoples faces almost literally.

• The first part of the "Chasing Birds" verse riff is the same progression as the chorus in "Woman", just starting with something like Dmajor7 instead of D# (a half-step above).

Paul McCartney's main riff in "Goodnight Tonight" and the final chorus in Lennon's "Woman" also use that same progression, just in the key of E.

• trevgregtrevgreg 54 posts
    edited February 2021

I suppose in a way, yes!😄

• With Medicine at Midnight... it makes sense you'd think of Abacadabra, as all those Am chords in that song's riff are similar to the verses there.

The chorus there reminds me a bit of - believe it or not - Coldplay's Adventure of a Lifetime, which is close to the same progression, and a U2 b-side from one of their last albums called "The Crystal Ballroom" (which I think is pretty similar to this song as a whole, feel and chords-wise).

• Wouldn't be surprised if this has been mentioned already: So, the opening track, Making a Fire, is great but those "na na nanana" sound really familiar. Can't quite put a name to the song at the moment but I sure it will come. Some really great tracks on this album, I hope some of them get put out to radio now that the album has been released: Cloudspotter, Medicine at Midnight and Holding Poison. I think any of those three could do really well. They have kind of an 80's vibe to them which is cool. The only weak song in my opinion is the last track Love Dies Young.

• Hub.Hub. 171 posts

Pretty solid album. 😀

Too bad Target doesn't provide international shipping.

• IamBecIamBec 4,014 posts
    edited February 2021

Chris used to do lots more didn’t he... (like 2002, 05, 07-09 etc) especially live and then T took over some of them. Not complaining I love them both but sometimes I do miss Chris’ backing vocals...

• SkezzSkezz 7,411 posts

Yeah. I've seen Dave say in a recent bit of press they Chris is the best guy in the band.

Then let the man sing back up Dave 😂

• BethMIBethMI 255 posts

I liked when he started doing backing vocals on everlong again in the second half of the last tour. Which makes sense because he was always singing along on his own anyway.

• Purchased the digital download from the FF store. Got a email confirmation for the purchase. Now how do I download it?

• SkezzSkezz 7,411 posts

It might be sent in another email. Maybe check your spam

• Meh is the feeling im having right now. Didnt like any of the singles even if no son of mine is alright. Love dies young is a killer track though but far from what i like to heat from my fav band. But if only 1 song out of 9 is good im gonna say its a weak album. But maybe its a grower. I dont want to dance. I want them to make some noise!

• Poppy4580Poppy4580 1,002 posts

I’m loving the album!

I wasnt a fan of Shame but listening to it in the context of the album it’s not making me skip over it.

Cant wait to see these tracks live.

• lharris92lharris92 1,734 posts

as always... each to their own.

need to have an uninterrupted listen of it... did listen earlier but el fam decided to think that was the best time to make conversation 🙄

plus was a bit tired so wasn't fully paying attention.

not fully sure on it all.

• Same thing happened with me, it’s a song that works way better within the context of the album

• Cloudspotter sounds incredible live, btw

• Happy album release day!!

Really enjoying it! Fell in love immediately with Making A Fire- and it felt so good to have that feeling because I was going in with low/no expectations.

Glad they had fun trying this direction and am looking forward to FF and the fans sharing these songs live.

I agree about wanting more Chris vocals. I think I saw Nate at Roseland in NYC in 2000 do “fall in fall out” backing vocals and it felt like a big deal, unless I dreamt it.

Always enjoy the giddy album release vibes that have been shared with this group all these years. Everyone certainly earned the shit out of this one this year.

• Foo3001Foo3001 283 posts
    edited February 2021

Woke up with Love Dies Young playing in my head,

IMO it’s the strongest track on the album, some really classic staple DG melody in the choruses. The feel of the track is outstanding.

Making a Fire is also cool, I like the uplifting feel,

Holding Poison is also fun.

The rest is all right, I totally agree with those who said before the release that the singles weren’t the strongest songs on the album.

IMO the only really weak track is the title song.