Taylor Hawkins Taylor Hawkins • 1972 - 2022 Visit Memorial

Welcome to the unofficial Foo Fighters Discussion Forums!

Join in discussions with other Foo fans around the world.
Please Sign In or Register to get involved.

Medicine at Midnight

1151617181921»

Comments

• O.B.geneO.B.gene 4,235 posts

i don't believe for one second Foo Fighters haven't been writing and recording new music all this time. Could we see ANOTHER album released this year? or perhaps a new EP? .....knowing the band is likely to get back to international touring in 2022 then it's a no brainer they'll have new music at some point later in the year, if not early next year.

a girl can dream

• It would make sense to get another album out in time for 2022, when they can tour again, and then just tour that one rather than try and delay the plans for MaM imo. It will have been recorded years before any tours can happen.

I wonder what songs from Concrete and Gold will still be in the setlist by the time Foo's next tour? Really hope La Dee Da and Dirty Water can stay on there.

• BethMIBethMI 252 posts

Hopefully Sunday Rain, it’s a lot better than Cold Day.

• Foo3001Foo3001 283 posts

That’s a gold finish one, it’s one of the DG reissues he has.

The one he’s used for a few decades is a cherry red one, late 60s.

And I hope everyone understood I was being sarcastic about a millionaire selling a $7K guitar with huge sentimental value for money.

• DaveKDaveK 39 posts

This sounds pretty likely.

Do we think so hot on the heels of MEDICINE, that Dave takes them "back to basics" in a stripped down, dirty rock record?

• wolwol 2,851 posts

Loved the 'how the band accidentally made Times Like These' interview. I need to see lots more stuff like this

• SkezzSkezz 7,315 posts

Was Nick Oliveri who Dave was wanting to produce?

• wolwol 2,851 posts
    edited March 2021
  • SkezzSkezz 7,315 posts

I can't understand that though Nick O is a weird pick.

• Um... Albums, Grammy's... provenance... I think you'd be looking at a 70K plus guitar, but that straightened out lol, no - he won't ever sell it, so moot point as you say .

• So many interviews now on late night shows etc where Dave says he was or is going to - or is obv in 606.

Practicing for live gigs... nope

Practicing for net gigs... maybe at first etc

My bet is they've been bored as fuck for over 8 months and around the time Dave decided to let MaM go for Christmas they started laying down threads for the next one. I'd be surprised as hell if there aren't already 5 or 6 songs pretty much in the can - where they could use them soon for an EP or build them out to an LP with one or two discarded.

If they DON'T release something new before they next play live in person, I'm certain they will start or end that live set with a new song. And I think only Covid can dictate if they wait or get too frustrated and just say, man you guys are gonna have a LOT of catching up to do when you next see us live.

My other thought was I wouldn't bet on Dave saying it's been twice as long as it should be - we feel twice as old - so we're back and gonna play twice as long just in case... get up early, we're on at 6 after the warmup acts and we wont be off before 10.30...

UK Promo posters of an exhausted Pat Smear sitting on a Marshall amp emblazoned with Thank You NHS rainbows... nurse at his side stabalising an industrial grade mobile IVC stand holding a upside down Balthazar of Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin piped directly into his mouth...

#Lockdown Lifesupport

https://i.imgur.com/CFjCGAW.jpg

• FooZealandFooZealand 457 posts
    edited March 2021

Coming from an obvious rock pedigree embedded in Nirvana, Dave Grohl rose from the ashes to start the Foo Fighters in 1994, he even recorded demos for some early Foo Fighters songs at Nirvana recording sessions when Kurt Cobain wouldn’t show up. Unquestionably one of the defining rock bands of our time has been the Foo Fighters. So, it makes sense to look at the gear that defines Dave Grohl’s guitar sound and, although Dave has used a plethora of guitars during the early Foo Fighters years, there is one, somewhat obscure, guitar that has shaped the Dave’s tone more than any other in the studio. A Gibson Memphis Trini Lopez model. The Trini Lopez model is essentially a 335 with diamond shaped F holes and a Firebird style headstock – although the Firebird didn’t come out until 1965, a year after Trini’s signature model came out. If you don’t know who Trini Lopez is, don’t feel too bad, neither did I, nor did Dave Grohl when he bought the guitar. He had a hit song back in 1963 called “If I Had a Hammer”. After the success of that song, Gibson decided to give him his own signature model. He had them change the F holes to diamonds to correspond better to the split diamond design Gibson was using for their fret inlays at the time. They also made a Trini Lopez Deluxe model which, unlike the Standard, where the double cutaway came out into two sharper, SG-like, horns.

Unfortunately for Trini, his popularity never did resurface and, as his popularity dropped off, Gibson decided to cease production on his model in 1970. It was never a very popular model – its bestselling year was 1967 and Gibson only shipped 92 of them. In the years that passed, the guitar became a bit of a faded memory to the guitar world. That is, until a young Dave Grohl picked up a standard Trini model in the early 90s.

As Dave said in his own words, “This is a beautiful guitar. I saw this in a guitar shop in Bethesda, Maryland. I think it was 1992, ’93 or something like that. I think I was still in Nirvana when I bought it. I thought it was unusual. It looks like a Gibson ES-335, except it has diamond-shaped f-holes and has this different headstock on it. And I didn’t really know anything about Trini Lopez, the artist, when I bought it. This is the sound of the Foo Fighters...On every record, I might use different guitars now and then. For the most part, it’s just this.”

I got ahold of Earnie Bailey, who was Dave’s guitar tech for a large portion of the Foo Fighter’s career (he was also Kurt Cobain’s tech), and he said, “Dave’s original cherry red Trini Lopez was purchased from Southworth Guitars in Maryland and I’m pretty sure was 100% stock.”

There is no question that the Trini Lopez model (the Standard model) provided a clear basis for Dave’s signature model, which came out initially in 2007. The 2007 run consisted of 200 in Pelham Blue and some in Ebony as well. Gibson did another run of them in 2014, which consisted of 200 in Pelham Blue and 400 in Gold Metallic. Those colors were chosen from a list of 60’s Gibson colors supplied to Dave by his tech Earnie Bailey. According to Earnie, Dave chose Metallic Gold and a pink champagne color – although we haven’t seen one in pink yet. I reached out to Gibson asking why they decided on the colors they did but have not heard back.

Dave’s signature features Burstbucker pickups (which are voiced within PAF specs). Dave’s also features a Tune-O-Matic stop tail bridge. If you’ve seen the Foo Fighters play live in the past decade or so, you probably saw Dave playing his signature exclusively on stage. His signature guitars have held up to his routine 2.5 hour sets and exposure to intense sweat. Although Dave does have backups for alternative tunings. As Earnie Bailey told me, “I saw the Foo Fighters play in Missoula Montana about a decade ago and at that time David had two of each out on the road. A main and a spare of both the blue and the black ones. He gifted me his main black one at that time which was set up for all the drop D songs with a super heavy low E string. That was the very guitar used here: https://youtu.be/NWU33fvPxd0 ] – Earnie was nice enough to send me some photos of that guitar.

Dave’s tone is just one ingredient to the overall guitar tone within the Foo Fighters. Pat Smear has been partial to Hagstrom Guitars for much of his career while Chris Shiflett has, since his involvement in the Foo Fighters, been more of a Fender guy, having his own signature Telecaster Deluxe (although he has played a lot of non-Fender guitars as well). The sum of all three signature sounds is what constitutes the monster guitar assault we hear from the Foo Fighters. Although it’s true that there is a fair amount of experimentation and other guitars put on records for various flavors, the dual humbucking sound is very much, home base. According to guitar tech Earnie Bailey, in the early days of the Foo Fighters, Dave used a black Gibson Explorer and a couple Les Pauls (one tobacco and one white) plugged into a ProCo Turbo Rat then into a Marshall JCM800. A Boss DM-2 and an MXR Micro Amp were added around the time of the second album. But in the beginning, it was a very simple setup.

• BethMIBethMI 252 posts

So I had a thought, Foos are apparently doing a lot of rehearsing and not very much performing. I am kind of wondering if Dave will adapt his idea from a few years back and the band records the next album live in a stream.

Of course he wont sell it. If it’s gone from the wall he’s doing something with it, which most likely is recording guitars.

If you want a late sixties Trini they go for 7K ish these days. I know because I have been eyeing out for one for a few decades now and will have one one sooner or later. If you want DG’s trini I don’t think 70K gets you even close.

• Koala FooKoala Foo 1,302 posts

That would be cool! He's probably up to something, I saw an interview the other day saying big plans for 21 which obviously can't be touring at the moment. However, if vaccinated Aus is talking about having to do less quarantine in the future.... (although probably 2025 at the rate we are doing our vaccinations...) so that could be a possibility, they could come here to get back in the live show saddle!

• Over a month after the album release, I have heard Radio X here in the UK three times this week introduce Making a Fire as "new from Foo Fighters".

• When was the last time you listened to the album? Me, 18th February.

I think I'm over it. I don't really dislike any song, it just doesn't ever enter my mind to listen to it?

• This album has grown in the wrong direction for me. Never even bothered to but a physical copy of it. Im sorry... It isnt bad. It isnt good. It doesnt give any impression at all. 😔

• matineeidyllmatineeidyll 840 posts
    edited March 2021

A couple of weeks ago, returning home. I remember thinking that the iPod earphones aren't the best representation (although the album doesn't sound awful at all through them) and I need to hear it in my Sony headphones. Haven't actually gotten around to that.

Otherwise, one of the new songs will come up on shuffle and I enjoy them in their own right.

• IamBecIamBec 4,014 posts

I’m really enjoying the new album. I didn’t expect to. I thought I’d like maybe 3 songs or so but it’s going well and I’m still keen.

I think it’s better than the previous few. Not as good as WL but very close.

My problem is that I did not like WL much either as an album, few great song in there no doubt.

• I really like the album. I still have to be in the mood for Chasing birds, and Love Dies Young is starting to grow on me, But a really good album. Best since WL in my opinion. I really like Sonic Highways, Loved St Cecilia and C&G was just ok to me,

Been almost 2 months and listen to it daily.

• lilmanjslilmanjs 443 posts

Loving that Chasing Birds got a trippy as hell music video that fits the vibe of the song!

• Can anyone cast their mind back and remember something.... One of the Medicine at Midnight bundles/editions/packages came with 4 either artwork prints: 1 for the album cover, 1 for Shame Shame, 1 for Waiting on a War, and 1 for Making a Fire. I can't remember exactly what they were, don't think they were slipmatts but can't remember for sure. If anyone else can please let me know ! Trying to get some second hand.