Taylor Hawkins Taylor Hawkins • 1972 - 2022 Visit Memorial

Welcome to the unofficial Foo Fighters Discussion Forums!

Join in discussions with other Foo fans around the world.
Please Sign In or Register to get involved.

Predict when we'll hear the first full song/single from album 10

Comments

• IamBecIamBec 4,014 posts

Hmm the short stories will have to do for now eh!

• Check this out! To help with the pandemic, Nine Inch Nails has released 2 new albums, for free download:

... hint, hint.

• lharris92lharris92 1,734 posts

yeah, the system overloaded... at least they are on youtube for now until the download can be done

• Who knows now.

If the quarantine is now extended to 4.30 I cannot see them touring in May.

• IamBecIamBec 4,014 posts

No I think most things will be pushed back to August at the earliest, especially big things. Even if we all go back to work in May - I doubt big events will go ahead as we’ll still be doing social distancing even when back in the office (if at all possible?)

• I hear you. Between concerts and sports things could be delayed for a very long time.

Think of the mosh-pit 20+ years ago with social distancing?

• BetoBeto 1,229 posts
    edited April 2020

I'll update my prediction to NEVER. :'(

I find it weird that he is complying with business/money decisions here, it's such a "mainstream pop" "Top 200" move! I thought he'd fucking speed it up for the good of people.

I know I'm being selfish and that it's not free to record, produce etc. But he's still punk enough to give a fuck about record sales.

My other favorite artist, Fiona Apple hasn't dropped an album in 8 years, a month ago she teased that the album was ready, two weeks ago she shared that the label was asking her to wait for a fall release, but she said FUCK THAT, and she'll drop it this friday. I don't think she even has artwork ready or anything. That's a thing I love about her, zero fucks given about money and/or popularity. And again, I know I'm being selfish, Fiona doesn't need money and there's very few people "on her payroll". FF has dozens of family members to feed.

• TimTim 194 posts

It's not really as simple as "label wants this". Like most of their albums, they had a pretty specific plan for promotional fun cool things they want to do and Dave wants to be able to actually do that stuff all with it.

Stuff like, I know for a fact that they were planning on a club show next week. I literally had a plane and hotel booked to go to it and one of the big shows that was a few days before. That's obviously not happening now, but they could still do it 6, 12, or 18 months down the road.

I'm sure they want to make a music video or two since they're one of the few acts that still does treat it like an artform.

I'm sure they want to be able to play SNL, as its still a HUGE thing for anyone who grew up watching it.

And, honestly, I'm ok with it (more accurately, I'm not more bothered by this side effect of the situation than I am about the situation as a whole). I don't want to hear the new songs, I want to hear them live at 100+ decibels with 40,000 people screaming along to them.

• BetoBeto 1,229 posts
    edited April 2020

I totally get it, Dave must be C R U S H E D about his weird funky promo plans getting derailed. They're always up for trying different stuff.

I guess as I'm pretty much never included in their promo plans (since they mostly aim live stuff on US/UK, -as they rightfully should-) it just doesn't hit me that harsh.

But I definitely prefer to listen to new stuff on my own, learn'em, lov'em, then live them.

EDIT to add: I do think they're cooking something out to pull through.

• TimTim 194 posts

Honestly, I wouldn't really bet on that much beyond stuff like the instagram stories thing (which was definitely put together as a result of Dave wanting to do something or even the pandemic playlist. There might be smaller media things but you've gotta remember that, right now, it's literally illegal for them to even practice, much less going to 606 and doing some livestream. It'll probably be a few weeks before Dave could even go there to do something by himself if he wanted to.

I'm pretty sure everyone has some level of home studio and maybe they could try to do something like what you saw Goldfinger do where they recorded their own parts and edited it together to look like it was live via Zoom or some shit, but I think anything major is pretty much on hold until they can do it balls to the wall.

I wish I had better news but I think the next thing you'll hear from the band is a statement announcing that their 25th anniversary shingdig is gonna be a 26th anniversary party. I wouldn't be shocked if the next thing after that is an announcement that the rescheduled fall dates are gonna be in 2021.

It sucks and its a real bummer cause I do agree new music would be a nice thing to have in a shitty time where people are stuck home and can't see friends/family or do anything fun. I just don't really like the implication that management or record companies are dictating this shit. With all due respect to Fiona Apple, she's in a completely different situation for far too many reasons to even count.

• Poppy4580Poppy4580 1,002 posts

Damn it.

l knew they’d probably play some clubs.

• TimTim 194 posts

Idk if it was plural or not. I asked about 2 months ago and Dave told me about a date next week in a city not on the van tour. I think they'll probably try to do it whenever shit gets back to some level of normalcy, but that's probably a 2021 thing now. I can't see things with crowds happening anytime this year and that sucks a lot

edited April 2020

I guessed that they might do a stop in between at a city from the original tour. That’s why I was doing 4 shows in a row hoping I’d be able to catch a club show.

it really sucks for them 😞

• Koala FooKoala Foo 1,321 posts

This whole thing sucks for everyone, the band, us fans..... and personally.

I've just read MOJO so am really excited to hear the new album and it would be lovely to drop. However, it's not just the new music, it's all the other promo stuff that goes with it and I'm sure they had some fun things planned.

It would be nice to have an iso song from them though, The Struts have been entertaining us, I guess they're more bored because they're not at home, no grass to cut or kids to school lol...

• BetoBeto 1,229 posts

A dude from am expert panel on "life after Covid19:

Larger gatherings — conferences, concerts, sporting events — when people say they’re going to reschedule this conference or graduation event for October 2020, I have no idea how they think that’s a plausible possibility. I think those things will be the last to return. Realistically we’re talking fall 2021 at the earliest.”

Sadly this makes a lot of sense. Ayee.

• SimonSimon 576 posts

It's going to come down to how well the world can be tested and properly isolated. At the moment it seems incredibly unlikely they'll be able to get to that level required that large crowds are safe, but it's all one big step into the unknown really.

Its going to be a mess when concerts are finally allowed. Every band in the world will be trying to book tours and venues for the same time.

• Foo3001Foo3001 283 posts

It's already been a hassle when spring / early summer shows got optimistically moved to autumn,

As it's kinda unlikely that they'll happen either it's starting to be a logistical nightmare for venues and tech guys.. Let alone the new bookings that will happen..

• SimonSimon 576 posts

I said it in one of the other topics but I think in the second half of this year, once social distancing is relaxed a little so bands playing together is OK with testing more widespread we'll see a lot of artists working with TV and online broadcasters to put on performances that way. If performances to actual crowds won't be possible it seems like the only real option, playing to an empty venue wherever but broadcast.

I can't see how the industry as a whole could survive if nobody was performing in any capacity until late 2021. If they strike deals with broadcasters that'll at least bring in advertising revenues.

But who knows, maybe I'm way off base.

• BetoBeto 1,229 posts

Netgix (See what I did there, net gigs)

Monthly subscription to catch a concert archive for $5 a month. $10 to catch new livestream shows. I'd be down for this. 😜

• SimonSimon 576 posts

Well there is already nugs.net, which is pretty similar, but very limited. Not many big artists.

• TimTim 194 posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the venue availability vs normal. Touring is largely seasonal for larger acts anyway. I think, if things are workable by next Summer, there might be a bit of a logjam. Even the busiest arena sized places like Madison Square Garden have 40-50 empty nights a year.

I think the biggest domino to fall related to live music first is gonna be a company like Stubhub is probably gonna collapse like a dying star very soon. Ticketmaster/LiveNation could be pushed close if this really stretches out but they have enough draconian practices where they'll be more resilient.

One other thing impacted is going to be the smaller venues up to arenas that are on the smaller size. Those places still have overhead when closed and probably can't sustain without ticket sales and people showing up and buying drinks/concessions for very long

• O.B.geneO.B.gene 4,239 posts

looking forward to LogJam

• BetoBeto 1,229 posts

And add to that the factor that thousands of people's worries if we get past this is. MONEY. There are people that were laid off, or that got their checks cut. Who knows where the live entertainment industry will start from.

Yep.

Venue closures and people not having money to go to shows will be the showstoppers (yes - deliberate pun).

Even if big venues and big bands can weather the storm the public may not be in a position to afford to go to shows and also until a vaccine is available may be scared to go to shows.

• TimTim 194 posts

Being able to stand and enjoy a show with nobody within 6 ft of me would be fucking awesome