Taylor Hawkins Taylor Hawkins • 1972 - 2022 Visit Memorial

Welcome to the unofficial Foo Fighters Discussion Forums!

Join in discussions with other Foo fans around the world.
Please Sign In or Register to get involved.

Josh Freese Interview with Rick Beato

This was a really good career-spanning interview with Josh that is definitely worth a watch.

He talks about Foo Fighters stuff for the first ten minutes, and the interesting thing he did was basically lay out the timeline of 2022. Which is really the first time anyone has done that

He didn’t talk to the band until they were getting ready for the tribute shows in the summer and at that point, contrary to speculation, he hadn’t been offered the gig yet, he says he still didn’t even know what band was going to decide about continuing.

As someone at the shows shared on reddit, by the LA show Dave was telling people he’d written songs but seems like they hadn’t started the record yet.

As Chris previously confirmed seems like most of But Here We Are was recorded in the fall sometime after the LA tribute show.

Josh got the call from Dave in December that the band had “had the drummer talk” and that they wanted Josh to do it. So he was likely locked in shortly before they announced the first shows in January.

Anyway, just something for the nerds (who mostly don’t read this forum anymore) who were curious about that, like me. Thanks for that Josh😄

Comments

• AndyAndy 67 posts

That was a really cool interview, thanks for sharing :)

I loved hearing him get into the gear and his double kick.

• Koala FooKoala Foo 1,319 posts

I need to watch it in full, have just seen snippets.

The timeline is interesting especially as surely those shows would have been in the planning for a while.

We now know Dave was writing earlier in the year as he mentioned the background to The Glass during, was it song exploder about The Teacher episode. But then that's his outlet, I'm sure he writes lots of songs that probably never see the light of day.

• FFPheebsFFPheebs 35 posts

Just watched it and i’m struck by what a genuinely nice chap Josh is. What a cool guy

• BethMIBethMI 255 posts

The shows would have been in some stage of planning for awhile, but Josh (and any other guests) wouldn’t have been involved before they started rehearsing. Before that it would have just been Dave and the Foo team.

• Koala FooKoala Foo 1,319 posts

Of course but planning shows maybe not knowing who'd be on the kit? Anyway, I'm glad it's Josh, I think he's a good fit musically and personality wise.