Taylor Hawkins Taylor Hawkins • 1972 - 2022 Visit Memorial

Welcome to the unofficial Foo Fighters Discussion Forums!

Join in discussions with other Foo fans around the world.
Please Sign In or Register to get involved.

Sunrise listening sessions for But Here We Are

13Β»

Comments

• Becks12Becks12 1,812 posts

Probably is a bit much.... I was hoping my boyfriend would say no, it's a silly idea, don't be daft. But he's almost as big a foos fan as me and so we've booked the hotel 🀣

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

• BexsterBexster 1,085 posts

Where is it?

• Congrats, folks! Please do share your experience when you come back - if you’re not too wrecked.

Been asked not to share the location but it's not what I'd call south east England. Was so smug it would be nearby 🀣 will disclose everything afterwards!

• Koala FooKoala Foo 1,316 posts

Good plan to book a hotel! Enjoy, can’t wait to hear all about it.

Haha, that is a fair point! I look forward to it.

• GeorgiaGeorgia 202 posts

No such thing as too fast with this band. If we can sleep on cardboard outside of Wembley, we can travel to the depths for an album that's released 24 hours later πŸ˜„

• FooArchiveFooArchive 396 posts

I was invited but having already heard the album a 5hr 6min drive each way is a bit too heavy for me - unless the breakfast was really good.

I want to go for the experience rather than just the early listen. I'm sure it's gonna be EPIC!

Wonder what it'll be like.....

Three hours each way for us. We've booked a bnb for a few hours kip. If you start driving now.......

• IamBecIamBec 4,014 posts

5 hrs…Ha is that all?

Fair though, we did a similar journey - drove to Bournemouth last year and if the traffics not on your side - it’s hell.

• FooArchiveFooArchive 396 posts

I think it’s also less appealing because the period of my life when ‘sitting listening to music with strangers while the sun comes up’ sounded like a good idea was very brief and very long ago.

TLDR; I’m old and boring

• NickyMNickyM 2 posts

Practically wet myself when I got the email ! 5 hour drive now but booked a B&B as can’t function with no sleep these days. Wonder how many people there will be ?

• NickyMNickyM 2 posts

We are here after a 7 hour drive……

• O.B.geneO.B.gene 4,238 posts

I’m intrigued

• The brief clips of the Foo Bus and then total radio silence are such a tease! So looking forward to hearing about it when you guys come out

Morning! Just on our way back to London....

We arrived about 4, at Lowestoft...... The most easterly point of England so had the first sunrise. Sunrise was.... England. So grey and non existent πŸ˜‚ not entirely sure lowestoft was neccesary, nice idea though.

We had our names ticked off a list and got a wristband and a warm beverage which was neccesary as it was English summertime aka freezing! Glad we hadn't unpacked from camping so had oodies in the car.

We were sat in deckchairs facing a transparent board with quotes from the album written in white and given silent disco headphones and a booklet with the lyrics in.

Album is great, very different from the last one obviously. Someone from the record label described it as powerful, I think that's a good description.

A breakfast was put on somewhere else but we're currently speeding down the motorway to go back to work. A numbered postcard I believe was handed out at the breakfast and our mates have kindly collected ours.

Thanks for the report @Becks12 ! It did look chilly, well the sun was out in Brighton at 6am so maybe that might have been a better choice! I did know the location as a friend messaged me so I get the significance of Lowestoft being so far east!

Shame, shame you had to miss brekki but it was good to see so many people I know who got to go!

Hope the presentation goes well today!

Brighton would have been perfect for us! We got REALLY lucky with traffic and got home in about 2.5 hours which included a Starbucks stop 😊

Pretty tired but was fun!

• BigColBigCol 976 posts

Glad you had a great time - it did look very cold from the photos!

Sounds like you had a great time, and the weather was very British πŸ˜‚

• tiagotiago 2 posts

I was at Portugal's listening session today from 4h30am to 7am and it was professionally captured in video and photo, including drone shots.

It was all organized by Sony Music as well. We were given image right waivers to sign.

We were explained the same concept as I had read from another listening party:

"Dave wanted it to happen so that the album finished playing at sunrise."

"He also asked that during the listening, no one used their devices, not to avoid bootlegging but because we will be filming and he wanted you to focus on the experience."

They said the band also asked for first person testimonials about the album.

They said Dave will watch it. Didn't sound like the guy was lying to us.

So, maybe there'll be a documentary or a featurette or a music video featuring footage from these listening sessions. Who knows?!

We were also told that these listening parties were taking place in 25 countries, following the same sunrise concept.

Our party took place on a boat, in the middle of the 13km-wide river Tagus in Lisbon. As the sun started to light the sky with yellow hues over the flat horizon, it reflected on water. It was almost like a live version of the cover painting itself in front of us. It was beautiful and hard keep the eyes dry. Some cries were heard as well at the end of the last song, Rest. That one will hit you... hard.

It's not overstating to say that we were in the presence of greatness. It's a powerful album.

Ok, that sounds like a really good place to have a listening party! Thanks for your post.

• Radio X (UK) are playing the whole album from 9am tomorrow morning with Chris Moyles.

• GeorgiaGeorgia 202 posts

I'm back from the pilgrimage.

Similar as above, the record company were explaining it was Dave's idea to have listening parties with sunrise. The UK label were thinking maybe the Shard in London but wanted to go truer to the meaning of a sunrise... Hence why it felt like middle of nowhere.

Lovely silent disco on a cold and grey beach, but wouldn't have changed it for the world.

They had a glass sheet with engraved lyrics from the album in Dave's handwriting. We were also fed and given numbered postcards of the venue we heard the album with the lyric books.

A random experience, especially as it looks so grey compared to the others but so happy I went.

Managed to hold back tears until the final song, Rest.

HAPPY FOO ALBUM EVE ALL. GOSH IT FEELS GOOD TO HAVE NEW MUSIC HEY? A year ago I genuinely couldn't see this happening so not taking anything for granted.

Lovely reading all your experiences!!

I’ve heard it through once as I got it early and it’s just incredible. All the time I keep thinking what it was like for them recording it in studio. The emotions ,did they keep it together, was it too much some days etc

It does feel good to be Foo talking again about new music, tours etc has made us all Come Alive again.

It is good reading people's experiences. I'm glad had a great time.