Welcome to the unofficial Foo Fighters Discussion Forums!

Join in discussions with other Foo fans around the world.
Please Sign In or Register to get involved.

How's your collecting going?

Dr Nick RivieraDr Nick Riviera 126 posts
edited February 11 in Collections And Recordings

For myself i focus on official physical releases. I miss the days of the singles. Finding out all versions. Hunting down a special french release. Trying to learn japanese to make sense of the websites in japan.

There is nothing really to collect anymore. I have a box full of singles for the first four albums. The rest of the albums singles fit in half a box.

Comments

• SimonSimon 526 posts
    edited February 11

Yeah, same. I've zero interest in the random merch items with the FF logo plastered on them so other than the albums, I've not really bought anything in the last 5 or so years.. Mind you even the albums don't have as many editions any more. I only get different versions if they're unique in some way, not just a different barcode/made in XX.

• Yeah i bought all the special deluxe packages for the last albums. The T-shirts are used but the rest of the merch is just stuffed in a box. Actually thought about puttning it on ebay cause i just look at the stuff once a year and go "OH thats Nice" and put the box back. :)

• SimonSimon 526 posts

All I bought for C&G was the regular CD and black vinyl. We don't even get the 2CD/DVD type special edition releases any more.

Back when things were still booming I bought two large faux leather storage boxes to put everything in and I wondered if it would be enough to fit everything in future, definitely didn't need to worry there. Only thing that doesn't fit in is the Sonic Highways box, for obvious reasons. Still plenty of space for everything else though.

• I've stopped myself from buying some of the silly things (i.e. the cookie cutter logo). now just on hold until the next release

• I have some stuff. Some of it is a bit rubbish. Some of it is priceless.

There was a time back in the early '00s where I kept hitting this prick named Musiclor (something like that, mem is vague) on eBay.

We had a lot of fights over stuff. This was in between and waaay b4 I rejoined the board after Foo Blackbox (and nobody knows me from then).

Musiclor was Alban. We never knew each other - had no way to connect or discuss anything. But it got to a point where I said to myself this is crazy for both of us, so I laid off bidding on some things and watched him win them against other bidders (like Canadian Cigar CD single and a bunch of others).

I got then all later. He went on to get all manner of other things re actual music releases, though he started way after me. He devoted himself to it 100%, and he will now never ever be beaten.

I went another route (in the 00's) and said OK there are some amazing things out there that are not strictly music based. So while I let some stuff go, I gathered items and connections that spidered into all kinds of places. Knowing who TR was on ebay and having talked to him way before he listed the first Demo tape; asking questions on another cassette and looking at the seller name as Gabor and daring to ask who he was...

Quite a few others less notable but still incredibly "fruitful". Roadies, promoters etc.

If I'd stuck with straight music releases I'd never have had any of them.

I kinda also learnt somewhere in there as a result (I think anyway) about value etc - just from the sheer amount of stuff I looked at and did not buy. So bought some stuff as an equal got it / investment. Other things were for sure got it / got screwed (in hindsight) lol.

So I bought more band merch than I should have for sure. Nut in my defense it's like they piled it on when I had little left to get from 2011 to 2018. And I still lucked out on stuff...

https://i.imgur.com/r7ReJWO.jpg

And here we are... 25 years on.

If I took all the "there's nothing left to collect" shit I've heard for years to heart I'd have stopped.

Or I be an utter dick and start a thread named:

"Post Your Latest 1995 Foo Fighters Colour Proof"

https://i.imgur.com/Tn4DV36.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7Vgp24t.jpg

And then what? Just prove I'm a royal **** by posting the rest?

It's way harder to collect if you "join" years later for sure, but absurdly it's become harder now in the full "internet age" than it ever was before.