Taylor Hawkins Taylor Hawkins • 1972 - 2022 Visit Memorial

Welcome to the unofficial Foo Fighters Discussion Forums!

Join in discussions with other Foo fans around the world.
Please Sign In or Register to get involved.

What song got you into the foos?

I saw the everlong video on mtv some time in 2000 at my friend's place, we got to chatting about the foos and he made me copies of tcats and tinltl and then I was hooked, bought myself a copy of the first album. I didn't see them live for the first time until July 2005 at the oxegen festival.

Comments

• lharris92lharris92 1,731 posts

My Hero.

But since then I am 100% ok with them not playing it - who am I kidding.... they're always going to play it live

• O.B.geneO.B.gene 4,238 posts

probably a song called 'This Is a Call' from the debut album 'Foo Fighters'

• BetoBeto 1,228 posts
    edited February 2020

The ad for TCATS that aired on MTV got my attention big time. There was something about that red and blue, and the holy FF monogram.

Then the Monkey Wrench video, again, that red and and awesome energetic video got me to keep my antenna high with them.

Some weeks (months?) went by and the Everlong video came out, I was mesmerized with the song and the fantastic video and I rushed to the record store and probably got it? I don't know if it was available in Mexico or if I had to wait, but yes, Everlong just pushed me to the fandom vortex.

• IamBecIamBec 4,014 posts

Breakout - saw the video in maybe 2000 and then downloaded everything I could find on a really slow computer

• Becks12Becks12 1,812 posts
    edited February 2020

When I realised the drummer from nirvana had a band and they were on tour with their second album.

• IamBecIamBec 4,014 posts

When I was eleven - I had a photo of Taylor on my bedside table. I loved Alanis as much as Foo back then.

• Haha pretty much same!

A friend put headphones on me on her front porch and said “listen to this” - must’ve been Doll into Monkey Wrench. She made me a cassette copy of TCATS and couldn’t stop listening to it.

• Honestly Big Me video. I loved Nirvana in school and was just shocked by the end of them and just always loved the 'goofy' other two and the song and S/T album were beautiful and fun and I just vibed with the group. Everlong cemented it and every album since I've grown older and wiser with them and just how cool and talented they are. I've loved everything from the side projects the videos Shiftys and Taylor's groups and records and their awesome live gigs. These days I have the greatest appreciation as a Dad for Dave and all of em for bringing their family on the journeys because Music is Awesome passionate and True and they make it like No one else.πŸŽΆπŸŽΈπŸ’™πŸ˜Ž

• Not a song so much, the self titled album in it's entirety. I was a bit late to the party cause One By One was already out by then. I caught up pretty soon after that though.

Although I did have the single of Learn To Fly before anything else so maybe it was that. I dunno.

Tougher question than I thought it would be this one.

• RiaRia 126 posts

Best of You

There was a show on the greek music channel that played the latest videos. If i remembered, i would watch it mainly cause they could show videos that they wouldn't on their regular program. So one day, the ''let's see what's new'' turned into the biggest ''What was that..?" I was mesmerized. They never played it again😜 i don't know. Then, when i watched skin and bones.. that was it. i loved it and them!

• Poppy4580Poppy4580 1,002 posts

Not as much a song but TCATC.

A friend played it to me and that was it.

• Mike2Mike2 1,916 posts

Whichever song was released first between This Is a Call and I'll Stick Around. Heard it on the radio and was hooked from there.

• I got into Grohl's music when I bought Pocketwatch .... 1992-ish.

• Monkey Wrench. I heard it on 93.7 The Edge (Twin Cities) while I was in 8th grade in May of 1997. Saw them perform it on Letterman that Friday leading up to the release of TCATS. WOW!

• Sometime I'd say in late 1997/early 1998, a buddy played some key songs (Monkey Wrench, My Hero, Everlong) from TCATS for me and I was hooked.

• Early 1995 as the Record Sales Manager for Tower Records in Seattle (Mercer store) I was given an advance cassette tape that included a few tunes from the first album. I was knocked out at the get-go.

• matineeidyllmatineeidyll 844 posts
    edited February 2020

I name three because it happened in stages.

1: I had a compilation tape (remember those?) of the Triple J Hottest 100 of that year and it had 'This Is A Call' on it. I was a 90's pop teen but something about it invigorated me and I wore out the tape from rewinding to hear it over and over.

2: 'Learn To Fly' and the video. Played at every house party. I won a competition by a music channel to program a whole hour with my own selections, and that was on the list. But no one from the channel notified me when it'd be on so I found out on NYE when a random person watched it, saw my name on the screen, looked me up in the phone book, and called me mid-song to fangirl over it with me.

3: 2011 - I was in the pit of a very severe depression during this period and had a casual gig as a hostess on a karaoke bus (a weird job at the time where it was basically a job requirement to be happy and energetic). On the way to pick up the guests on one of the tour runs, I had a playlist going on the bus's speakers as I stared out the window, lost, not sure how I was going to summon the mental energy to get through the night. Then 'Times Like These' came up on shuffle. It was like someone cracked a window and fresh air came rushing in. Hearing "it's times like these you learn to live again" started a whole internal inquiry to learn what I was really made of, how hard I was willing to fight for my own life. Thanks to this song and this band, i'm still here.

• Hub.Hub. 170 posts

Heard many Foo songs for many years without really getting hooked (But I have to admit I hadn't even tried).

That was in 2011, right after Pearl Jam's 20th anniversary that, a bit tired of it and looking for something else, I saw the Rope music video. This is how I started looking for everything the Foo Fighters had already released.

I can't say it was THE song. But it helped me dig into their work and really appreciate it.