Taylor Hawkins Taylor Hawkins • 1972 - 2022 Visit Memorial

Welcome to the unofficial Foo Fighters Discussion Forums!

Join in discussions with other Foo fans around the world.
Please Sign In or Register to get involved.

Studio 666

Comments

• deadline.com/2021/11/foo-fighters-horror-movie-studio-666-release-date-dave-grohl-1234869378/

Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl Unveils Horror Comedy Movie ‘STUDIO 666’; Open Road Lands WW Rights For February Theatrical Release

EXCLUSIVE: Think A Hard Day’s Night of the Living Dead, with laughs among the scares and splatter, and you’ve got a handle on STUDIO 666. Dave Grohl and his Foo Fighters bandmates star in a film they shot in secret, about what happens when the legendary rock band rents an Encino mansion steeped in grisly rock and roll history, to record their 10th album. Trouble is, frontman Grohl is creatively blocked, and when evil forces in the house sink into his consciousness, the creative juices begin flowing but so does the blood. Can Foo Fighters’ complete the album, with the band still alive to tour?

Open Road Films has acquired worldwide rights, and the distributor has set a wide theatrical release in 2000+ theaters on February 25. Along with Grohl and bandmates Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel, Pat Smear, Chris Shiflett & Rami Jaffee who play themselves, the cast includes Whitney Cummings, Leslie Grossman, Will Forte, Jenna Ortega and Jeff Garlin. The pic is directed by BJ McDonnell and the international release date will be set soon by Open Road CEO Tom Ortenberg and Foo Fighters.

Based on a story by Grohl, with script by Jeff Buhler and Rebecca Hughes, the film is directed by BJ McDonnell. He helmed Hatchet III and Slayer: The Repentless Killogy, and served as camera operator on such films as James Wan’s Malignant and Top Gun: Maverick. The film mixes scare fare with the playfulness and mischief evident in the band’s music videos. Given its superstar profile, Foo Fighters band managed to largely keep the movie project a fairly tight secret.

“After decades of ridiculous music videos and numerous music documentaries under our collective belts, it was finally time to take it to the next level… A full length feature horror comedy film,” said Grohl. “Like most things Foo, STUDIO 666 began with a far fetched idea that blossomed into something bigger than we ever imagined possible. Filmed at the same house where we recorded our latest album Medicine at Midnight — told you that place was haunted! — we wanted to recapture the classic magic that all of our favorite rock and roll movies had, but with a twist: hilarious gore that fucking rocks. And now, with the help of Tom Ortenberg and the team at Open Road Films we can finally let this cat out of the bag after keeping it our best kept secret for two years. Be ready to laugh, scream, and headbang in your popcorn. STUDIO 666 will f*ck you up.”

Said Open Road’s Ortenberg: “We couldn’t be more excited to team up with Foo Fighters for a movie sure to make audiences scream and laugh. The Foos bring their comedic chemistry and the musical talent we all love to the big screen in this hysterical horror film.”

McDonnell called the film “a perfect combination of all things I love. Rock, horror, and comedy all tied together in a very thrilling motion picture. I am so excited to have teamed up with the Foo Fighters to create an old school band movie. It’s been years since we’ve seen something like The Beatles Help!, The Monkees’ Head, or KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park. Take that ’60s / ’70s old school band film fun, mix it with horror and STUDIO 666 is born! I am so ecstatic for audiences of film and music to come together and enjoy our film.”

The film is produced by Roswell Films’ and Therapy Studios’ John Ramsay & James A. Rota. Executive producers are John Silva, Kristen Welsh, John Cutcliffe, Gaby Skolnek, Dave Grohl, Nate Mendel, Taylor Hawkins, Pat Smear, Chris Shiflett, Rami Jaffee, James Masciello, Matthew Sidari, Mitchell Zhang and Open Road’s Ortenberg.

“Over the past decade we have had the good fortune to collaborate with Foo Fighters on a variety of great projects,” said producers Ramsay &. Rota. “Whether it be documentary films, TV series or music videos, they always bring their great talents and legendary sense of humor. STUDIO 666 takes this to a whole new level and we couldn’t be more proud of this movie. We can’t wait to share it with the world.” The producers worked with Grohl on the superb HBO docuseries Sonic Highways.

The deal was negotiated by Ortenberg and Matthew Sidari for Open Road Films and by WME Independent on behalf of the filmmakers. Ortenberg founded Open Road, left and then returned when Raven Capital Management became its backer. The distributor released the Best Picture winner Spotlight and Jake Gyllenhaal-starrer Nightcrawler, and more recently the Liam Neeson action films Honest Thief and The Marksman and the Gerard Butler-Frank Grillo action film CopShop.

• O.B.geneO.B.gene 4,235 posts

god there's going to be so much merch coming our way

• I know this is probably gonna be campy as crap, but I am excited for it. Sounds like a passion project for Dave.

• And then Dave will write a glorious 11 x 11 coffee table book about it all 🤣

• Only 3? You severely underestimate! Still, I can't wait to see what merch comes from this, but I don't expect any of it to drop until next month at the earliest.

• Why... is there something wrong with designer coffee tables in the living room, bedroom... AND bathroom? lol

• They just dropped another Ann capsule last week so based on past ones they don't try and compete against themselves for punters cash - they would likely let that run for a month...

On the other hand I would have thought a movie merch drop for Christmas US delivery would have been smart - so who knows.

• BethMIBethMI 252 posts

Wonder when this would have come out if not for Covid?

Also campy, gory horror is among my least favourite genres which is absolutely a me problem, but not sure what to think. This should be fun, but I wish I wasn’t so prone to second-hand embarrassment lol

• wolwol 2,851 posts

You know it, you lemon 😇

I'm simply prioritising my needs

• SusanSusan 3,432 posts
    edited November 2021

WTF? What is this nonsense in my Twitter feed? ☺️

• I love you - please PLEASE come to Brazil! 🤩🤗🤫🧙👹🤣

• Koala FooKoala Foo 1,302 posts

At last!! Hope international isn't too far behind the US showings.... and they'll be a DVD or whatever the modern equivalent is so we can see it more than once!

• BetoBeto 1,224 posts

I'm hoping for a VOD release maybe a week apart from the opening? Maybe even same day if they somehow partner up with HBO/Paramount/Netflix or something.

No doubt it will be on something I don't have or easily can get a subscription to ha ha..... what's wrong with a good old fashioned DVD?!

• GeoGeo 3,401 posts
    edited November 2021

hopefully we’ll get at least a special release like Nova or Europa, like we did with back and forth.

• BetoBeto 1,224 posts

Oh you know there will be enough physicial bundles to choose from, wouldn't be surprised if they even did a VHS xD. A shirt with poster art may be on my wishlist already.

Cool... I was about to say I wasn't here then but I was, just not a Foo fan back then 🤣

Yeah no doubt they'll be a heap of merch. The poster is nice! VHS, think I still have my machine somewhere ha ha...

• O.B.geneO.B.gene 4,235 posts

yea i'm loving it!

• BethMIBethMI 252 posts

Me looking a this and immediately starting to speculate

hint at the last men standing? If so i think i can guess the death order

• Nate and Pat look like they'll be the MVP's of this movie

• Most importantly ... any new songs to go w/ this? Maybe a soundtrack album!!

• SkezzSkezz 7,315 posts

I was wondering the same thing. I can't see them not doing something. I just can't see the tracks from M@M being the ones being worked up for the film from a purely thematic point of view.

• Whitney Cummings said in the comments to a crew member's IG post that she couldn't stop cracking up over having to lip-sync a Foo Fighters song in front of them, but didn't specify whether they were from MaM or new tracks. So this is also sounding like a musical horror/comedy - talk about burying the lede!