Taylor Hawkins Taylor Hawkins • 1972 - 2022 Visit Memorial

Welcome to the unofficial Foo Fighters Discussion Forums!

Join in discussions with other Foo fans around the world.
Please Sign In or Register to get involved.

Foo Fighters confirmed inductees for 2021 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

DaveKDaveK 39 posts

The complete rundown of this year’s nominees:

• Mary J. Blige
  • Kate Bush
  • Devo
  • Foo Fighters
  • The Go-Go’s
  • Iron Maiden
  • JAY-Z
  • Chaka Khan
  • Carole King
  • Fela Kuti
  • LL Cool J
  • New York Dolls
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Todd Rundgren
  • Tina Turner
  • Dionne Warwick

A voting bloc of about 1,000, described as including fellow artists and other participants in the music industry, will do the final voting on this crop, which was selected by a committee. There is also, of course, the famous “fan vote,” in which the general public can go online to make its selections, although that vote only caries the same weight as one of the 1,000-plus music industry votes. Fan voting will be open through April 30 at rockhall.com.

Comments

• It’s just the current line-up that would be inducted. Franz & William aren’t named, whereas some groups (Iron Maiden being one) do have former members listed.

• BethMIBethMI 252 posts
    edited February 2021

Someone said (I think it was here) that the criteria for including a band member is if they made a certain number of albums (2?) with them. Which would not include Will or Franz, even if it was one.

edit: though through googling I haven't found anywhere where it says that yet, so IDK

• According to the Hall Of Fame that isn’t the case. There isn’t a set rule for who and why.

• DaveKDaveK 39 posts

I would imagine, that the band is notified of their eligibility and asked to submit their lineup before this announcement.

If it is to include ex-members I presume that needs to be vetted and agreed upon and in this case the current lineup was what Dave considers to be the band he wishes to see inducted.

• I don't see them getting in on their first try, but they do deserve it more than Jay-Z for sure.

• DaveKDaveK 39 posts

Pretty interesting list of 52 bands/artists who made it in first time

• IamBecIamBec 4,014 posts

Interesting...

• Well, Dave's on the HOF board, so for what it's worth...

• Oh! It s a must have the Chanels to these:)

• Apparently not Blaze Bailey lead singer on two albums whilst Dickinson was off flying planes 🤣

• These things are inevitably subjective, but I would argue that there are two main reasons that seem to get people nominated to/inducted in the HOF - 1) the influence you have on others and 2) how successful you are. Obviously some people will qualify on both grounds.

I don't think that Jay Z's influence on hiphop/rap over the past 20 years can be underestimated.

• DaveKDaveK 39 posts

Totally agree. The HoF is ROCK in name, but it's generally a celebration of music across all genres

• BexsterBexster 1,085 posts

Are there a set number picked each year, or is it as many as the committee decide? It's great the band is there, but there's a good handful in there I'd pick over them this year; The Go-Go's, Carole King, Maiden at least.

• DaveKDaveK 39 posts

I bet they get in first time. I have so many thoughts to support this, but can't succinctly put them into words right now

• BexsterBexster 1,085 posts

Oh yeah, I still think there's a good chance they'll get in there - Dave has very much spread his influence across the modern face of rock music. It's just a personal thing really that they wouldn't be my first choice from this crop.

• They were both essentially touring members, so not really a surprise. No disrespect to either of them, just they didn't have a massive impact on the band other than make way for Taylor and Chris.

• TimTim 194 posts

100% agree. Leaving out an artist cause they don't fit a cookie cutter "rock n roll" label is silly. My five picks were Foos, NY Dolls, GoGos, Devo, and Iron Maiden. Jay-Z was in the mix for a while as I kept going back to the browser tab to rethink it.

If I had to guess, the final list of inductees will be Tina Turner, Jay-Z, Foo Fighters, Go Gos as the "no doubt about it absolute locks" and then a bunch of "I wouldnt be surprised either way" ones like LL, Devo, Maiden, Rage, Carole King, etc - It's kinda hard cause the industry balloting is weird and inconsistent. Hip Hop / Rap / R&B seems to be the most consistently shafted genre but then Biggie is a first ballot pick despite a super short career

For something like this, I'd be happier casting a wider net or whatever. I could see some people leaving Foo Fighters out in the way bands like KISS and Rush took their time, but not enough to overcome Dave's universally liked status.

Either way, the ballot coming out is usually one of my most favorite fun little debates to have.

• TimTim 194 posts

oh and for the will/franz thing? idk. i respect the hell out of both of em and loved them in the band but at this point, sam/laura/barb have been in longer than Will and Franz combined and appeared on more released recordings.....

A verbal acknowledgement / thank you in the speech is probably sufficient for that.

• Old argument I know, but half of those nominees can’t really be classed as Rock and Roll.

• Koala FooKoala Foo 1,300 posts

Fela Kuti is steaming ahead... he was last yesterday! Foos now in third and well behind Tina...

• Never underestimate the power of Nigerian internet!

• EmilyEmily 57 posts

this should be interesting to see how it pans out! I always wanted to be there in person for when FF get IN but now who knows...

• I've never fully understood how the HOF works with former members but according to this, William and Franz are definitely out: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/iron-maiden-foo-fighters-rock-hall-exclusions/

• I don't know where the Foo Fans are but the band just dropped to Fifth place and is at risk of falling out of the fan vote if we aren't all there voting once daily to April. They were in third then about 400 votes from Iron Maiden, now last night they dropped below The Go-Gos. Please vote each day and tell your friends. https://vote.rockhall.com/results

• It's a combination if industry votes and money. Bands pay a fee to attend the ceremony (when there is one) for the table and the number of guests they bring (which is restricted). It's why The ___ Pistols said "no". But everyone needs to still vote on the fan vote page daily because last night Foo dropped to fifth place and the vote continues to the end of March https://vote.rockhall.com/results we can vote once a day. Tell a friend.

• GeoGeo 3,401 posts
  • I really wouldn’t give a shit about the fan vote. When that vote ends, it’s top 5 then become 1 extra ballot added to the 1000+ official ballots that actually decide who goes in.

It’s not reflective. Of last years fan vote top 5 only one ended up as an official inductee.

• TimTim 194 posts

Pretty much that. It was put in to add interest to the whole process, not to decide who goes in. It's a PR thing more than a "we really need your help deciding this!"

• O.B.geneO.B.gene 4,235 posts

fans of Fela Kuti will be mortified if he doesn't get in then

• I self censored myself not being completely familiar with the rules, yes. Did not sensor the band. That said, Foo has dropped behind Go Go's and Iron Maiden and we only have until April 1 to push the back up to third place. The difference is only a couple of hundred. I vote every morning. (Foo, RAGE, Mary J Blige, LL Cool J, and New York Dolls get my daily five selection vote).